by Chef Jay Phelan, Chef and Owner of J. William Culinary
1 c. eggplant, medium dice
1 c. zucchini, medium dice
1 c. yellow squash, medium dice
1 c. ripe tomatoes, seeds removed, medium dice
1/8 c. red onion, small dice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
10 leaves of basil, sliced into thin strips
½ bunch of Italian parsley
5 chili flakes
4 T. plus one extra virgin olive oil
Arugula for garnish, washed and allowed to air dry
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1. Start with a sauté pan on high heat and add 4 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil starts to lightly smoke, add the eggplant, garlic, onions and chili flakes.
2. While stirring with a wooden spoon, let the eggplant cook until it is somewhat soft and the garlic is light brown.
3. Add the zucchini and squash and allow to sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
4. Incorporate the tomatoes and zest of half a lemon into the ratatouille and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the ratatouille for 7-8 minutes uncovered.
5. Add juice of half a lemon, basil and parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well but don't mash the vegetables. The ratatouille should have some texture.
6. Transfer to a large bowl. For presentation, place the arugula, 1 T. of olive oil, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl. Toss lightly.
7. Garnish the top of the ratatouille generously with the arugula salad.
serves 4 as a side dish