Port Braised Beef Short Ribs with Rosemary Glazed Seasonal Vegetables from Tony Corrente, executive chef of River City Brewing Company
2 lbs. boneless beef short ribs
1 sprig of rosemary
2 cups port wine
2 cups beef stock
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1 rutabaga, chopped
1 turnip, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup seasoned flour
1. Place a braising pan over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Lightly flour beef short ribs. Pat off excess flour and sear in braising pan.
3. Once beef is browned on all sides, add vegetables and garlic, and cook until vegetables start to soften.
4. Add port wine and allow the liquid to come to a boil. Simmer liquid for one minute and use a spoon or spatula to scrape flavor deposits from the bottom of the pan. Add beef stock and half of the rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce broth by one-quarter.
5. Cover pan tightly with a lid or tin foil. Place in the oven for approximately 3 1/2 hours or until fork tender; check periodically to ensure braising liquid has not reduced completely.
6. Remove the pan from the oven. Set beef and vegetables aside in serving dish, and return pan to stove top. Reduce remaining liquid to desired consistency. Strain, then serve over the beef and vegetables. Garnish with remaining rosemary.
Yields 2-3 servings