by Aurathai Sellas, Taste of Thai // photo by Agnes Lopez
Tom Yum Gai with Chicken
- 4 c. water
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, pounded and sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 thumb-sized piece of galangal (a citrusy ginger), sliced
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2-3 fresh Thai chili peppers
- 3/4 c. chicken, sliced
- 3/4 c. mushrooms, chopped
- half of a white onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2-4 tsp. fish sauce
- 2-4 tsp. lime juice
- cilantro, chopped
- green onion, sliced
- 1-2 tsp. Thai roasted chili sauce
- Boil water.
- Throw lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves and Thai chili into gently boiling water. Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Toss chicken and mushrooms in the pot. Add onion and put the lid on the pot and boil 4-5 minutes.
- Add fish sauce first, then sugar and lime juice. Taste the soup and add more as preferred.
- Add a handful of fresh cilantro and green onion to the pot, give it a stir and turn off the heat.