by Lauren Hamilton of The Bearded Pig // photo by Agnes Lopez
Roasted butternut squash with walnut pesto
- ¼ c. sage, chopped fine
- 4-5 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- pinch red pepper flake
- 1/3 c. walnuts, toasted
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ c. crumbled ricotta salata
- 2 butternut squash
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- Preheat oven to 500°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast in oven while preheating, about seven minutes.
- Peel squash, cut lengthwise and then into 1 in. x 5 in. wedges.
- Toss wedges in oil, sugar, salt and cayenne and place in single layer on lined baking sheet.
- Roast squash 10-12 minutes on one side. Turn over with spatula and roast 7-10 more minutes.
- While squash is roasting bring chopped sage, three tablespoons of oil, red pepper flake and one whole garlic clove to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Combine toasted walnuts and the garlic clove in food processor. Pulse until fine crumb.
- Fold together nut and garlic crumb mix with oil, sage and lemon zest.
- Toss roasted squash in pesto mix and top with ricotta salata to serve.