by Korey Konopasek, Empire City Gastropub // photo by Agnes Lopez
- Mild breakfast sausage, about 12 ounces
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 c. plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup egg yolks
- 4 T. heavy mayonnaise
- 2 T. clarified butter
- 1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 2 ½ tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. gelatin
- Whole grain mustard
- Bold City Dukes Brown Ale
- 1 qt. oil for frying
- Cook egg yolks in a non-stick pan on very low heat (avoid any browning).
- Let egg yolks cool after cooking before proceeding.
- Bloom gelatin in lemon juice and hot sauce.
- Combine egg yolks, lemon juice, hot sauce, gelatin, mayo and clarified butter in a food processor until smooth.
- Place in a pastry bag to pipe onto eggs. (If you don’t have one, just spoon them on the egg.)
- Let chill for at least an hour. The gelatin needs to set before use.
Mustard preparation: 1. Mix four ounces whole grain mustard with one ounce of beer. Done! 2. Drink remaining beer while eggs cool.
Egg preparation: 1. Pre-heat a quart of vegetable oil for frying to about 350°F. 2. Wrap the eggs in about ¼” of the uncooked sausage. 3. Roll the hard-boiled eggs in bread crumbs. 4. Fry until nice and brown. The sausage should be cooked all the way through. Only fry one to two eggs at a time that fit nicely into hot oil. 5. Cut the cooked eggs in half and pipe or spoon the mousse on top. 6. Garnish with chives or green onions and serve with mustard.