// by the culinary team at Bonefish Grill
6 lbs. stone crab claws
1 c. mayonnaise
4 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 T. horseradish Dash of hot sauce pinch of sea salt
Procedure for mustard dipping sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until smooth and creamy.
2. Transfer to a serving dish.
3. Refrigerate until served.
Procedure for stone crab claws:
1. Place uncracked claws into a a pot of boiling water over high heat. Boil until cooked through, approximately five to seven minutes. Note: Florida stone crabs typically come pre-cooked (but not cracked), so skip this step if the claws are indeed cooked already.
2. Remove claws from water and cool (this prevents the meat from sticking to the shells).
3. Keep claws well-iced prior to cracking.
4. Pre-crack shell using a cracking tool or the back of a knife.
5. Place the claw on a clean damp cloth to stabilize it.
6. Start with first knuckle; give it a crack on the thickest part—hard enough to make an obvious split but not to crush the shell.
7. Repeat with second knuckle.
8. Crack the main claw last and arrange over ice.
9. Serve with cocktail sauce, mustard sauce and fresh lemon.
Chef’s tip: If using a prepared cocktail sauce, add chopped cilantro and a little hot sauce for kick.