// by Katie Kernan, chef at Liberty Bakery
1¼ c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt 2 tsp. cocoa
11 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1 c. unsalted butter
1 tsp. instant espresso
1½ c. sugar
½ c. light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa and salt and set aside.
4. In the microwave, combine and melt dark chocolate, unsalted butter and espresso.
5. Whisk sugars into melted mixture and let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Add 3 eggs to melted mixture and whisk until combined, then add the last 2 eggs and whisk to combine.
7. Stir in vanilla, being sure not to over mix.
8. Fold dry ingredients into melted mixture.
9. Pour half of the batter into bottom of the prepared pan.
10. Sprinkle desired candies on top of batter.
11. Pour the remaining batter mixture on top of candy and spread until covered.
12. Bake for 40 minutes and then check the brownies. Continue cooking until the brownie doesn’t jiggle, and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan.
13. Cool brownies in pan.
14. When cooled, remove and cut into desired shapes. We recommend hearts for your Valentine!
yields 16 brownies
*surprise candy ingredient suggestions 8-9 peanut butter cups 12 Rollo candies 1/3 c. M&Ms ½ c. pecans, chopped Any other candies you and your significant other enjoy