1 T. canola oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 tsp. curry powder
2 qts. chicken stock
2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed into paste
2 T. fresh ginger, grated
4 oz. cold butter, cut into 4 pieces
1. Set a soup pot over medium heat. Add canola oil and onions, and cook until the onions are translucent and soft, stirring often.
2. Add curry powder and stir for 15 seconds.
3. Add chicken stock, ginger and garlic. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced (30-45 minutes).
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender, or use an immersion blender to purée soup.
5. Add cold butter one piece at a time. Adjust seasoning to taste.
yields 6-8 servings